Kelly's Directory of Dorsetshire 1848
Transcribed by Dorinda Miles from a
photocopy of the directory reproduced courtesy of
Dorset County Council Library Service.
ALMER, a parish in the Hundred of Loosebarrow and Blandford Union, 5 3/4 miles south-south-east from Blandford, contained, in 1841, with the hamlet of MAPPERTON, 189 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Dorset and the diocese of Salisbury, value £284, and in the patronage of John Samuel Wanley Sawbridge Erle Drax, esq., M.P., who is also lord of the manor; the Rev. Charles Sawbridge, B.A., is the present incumbent. The church, dedicated to St Mary, is a neat edifice, with a square tower surmounted by embattlements and pinnacles, and was rebuilt by General Erle. The village is on the Winter Borne.
SAWBRIDGE Rev. Charles, B.A., [Rector]
CRUMPLER Robert 'World's End'
INGRAM William, farmer, Mapperton
SHETLE Thomas, farmer & steward to J.S.W.S.E.Drax, esq M.P. Mapperton
LEGG Joseph, farmer
Letters received through the Blandford office.
Almer Page | OPC Page