Bradford Peverell is a parish and a
small village situated in the valley of the River Frome just 3 miles
north west from Dorchester. The church of St Mary is situated in the
middle of the village and the elegant spire serves as a clear landmark.
It was largely rebuilt in 1850, although there is some old glass in the
chancel windows, some of it from New College, Oxford. There are
memorials to the Middleton family.
There are 2,700 acres and the soil is
mainly chalk and gravel with the chief crop being corn. In 1871 the
population was 405 employed chiefly in agriculture. Muckleford is a
hamlet in the parish and Penn Hill is noted for its prehistoric
barrows. There is no Post Office but there is a National School and Mrs
Edith Miles is the schoolmistress.
Census transcribed [Tony Cake]
1851 Census transcribed [John Ridout]
1861 Census transcribed [Royston Clarke]
Transcriptions of any other census welcomed
||The parish registers date
There are Bishops Transcripts from 1731
|Postal Directories||Extract from Harrods 1865 Directory and names from the 1880 Kelly's Directory|
Photographs of the Church
Photographs of Memorials and Plaques at St Mary's Church [Jan Hibberd]
|Monumental Inscriptions||A list of names on Headstones & Tombs in the burial ground|
|Links||Bradford Peverell Village Website - contains Village History and many photographs|
|Maps||The 1891 ordinance survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Bradford Peverell' under place search.|
location maps visit:-
For a 1920s map of the area click on the thumbnail on the left.
Visitors to Dorset OPC
Copyright (c) 2016 Dorset OPC Project