Charmouth

POSTAL & TRADE DIRECTORIES

Transcribed by Nicola Merrifield

1855     1865     1875

 

POST OFFICE DIRECTORY 1855

Charmouth a parish and village, in the Bridport Division, and Whitchurch Hundred and Axminster Union, 2 miles E. from Lyme Regis, and 6 W. from Bridport, contained, in 1851, 664 inhabitants and 433 acres. The village takes its name from its position at the mouth of the River Char, and is situated on the sea-coast, in a healthy and well sheltered spot, at the base of a steep hill, and is chiefly supported by parties who frequent it in the sea-bathing season. The living is a rectory, value £150. The incumbent is the Rev. Edward Britton A.M. The church [St Matthew] is a handsome modern building, capable of accommodating 400 persons.  There is an Independent chapel, well endowed; also a chapel for Wesleyans; a National School, and an Independent School.  This is supposed to have been the Canca Arista, or Carixa, of the Romans.  In 833 and 840 battles were fought here with the Danes.  George Frean, Esq., is lord of the manor.
Catherston is half a mile N.; Stonebarrow is on the other side of the Char.
Postal Regulation. John Carter, postmaster. London mail arrives 19 min. to 7; dispatched 41 minutes to 7.  Taunton  & Western mail arrives ½ past 8 a.m. dispatched 4 p.m.  Money Orders are granted & paid at this office.

CLERGY, GENTRY ETC.

   
 

 

 

 

BRITTON

Rev. Edward

M.A.

Vicarage

BULLEN

Lieut. Charles

 

R.N.

CLYDE

Mrs

 

 

COOKNEY

Mrs

 

 

FORWARD

Samuel, esq

 

 

FREEMAN

Mrs

 

 

GODDARD

The Misses

 

 

GORDON

Thomas, esq

 

 

GRIFFITHS

Mrs

 

 

HENNING

Miss Sophia

 

 

HUGHES

Mrs

 

 

KENNAWAY

Mrs

 

 

KENNAWAY

Mrs. Robert

 

 

LIDDON

Miss

 

 

LUDLAM

Mrs. Elizabeth

 

 

MALLACK

Mrs

 

 

NORRIS

Henry Edmund, esq

 

 

POULSON

The Misses

 

 

PRIOR

Mrs

 

 

RICHARDSON

Captain

 

T.I.C.

ROBIN

Miss, 

 

Sea House

SIMPSON

Lieu. Benjamin

 

 

SMITH

Rev. Frederick

 

Independent minister

SMITH

Mrs. George

 

 

SMITH

Mrs. John

 

 

SMITH

Mrs. William

 

 

SYMES

Mrs Bullen

 

 

SYMES

Joseph, esq

 

the Cottage

TEMPLAR

Mrs

 

 

TUCKER

Rev. Andrew

M.A.

Bellair House (rector of Wooton Fitzpain)

TUCKER

Andrew, esq

 

 

WALLACE

George, esq

 

 

TRADERS

 

 

 

ATKINS

Mary (Mrs)

Shopkeeper

 

BARNES

William

Farmer

 

BRADFORD

William

Baker

 

CARTER

John

Builder, grocer & postmaster

 

CHILCOTT

George William

Miller

 

COLES

John

Baker & confectioner

 

COOKNEY

James Reuben

Stonemason

 

CRABB

George

Shoemaker

 

DARK

William

Shoemaker

 

DEAN

Reuben

Shopkeeper

 

DIMENT

Caroline (Mrs)

Beer Retailer

 

DONN

John

Grocer & mason

 

FALSTONE

Sarah (Mrs)

Shopkeeper

 

FROST

John

Bootmaker

 

FRY

Thomas, esq

Farmer

 

GORDGE

Digery

Parish Clerk

 

GORDGE

Thomas

Painter & glazier

 

HOARE

William

Carpenter

 

HODGE

Joseph

Grocer & beer retailer

 

HODGES

John

Butcher

 

HODGES

John

Lodging house

 

HOLLY

George

Commercial inn & posting house

Coach & Horses

HOLMAN

John

blacksmith

 

HUNT

F. (Mrs)

Lodging house keeper

 

HUNTER

Jno.

Fossiler & pleasure boat owner

 

LAMB

Edward

Draper & grocer

 

LANE

James

Farmer

 

LOVE

James

Butcher

 

LUGG

James

Mason

 

LUGG

John

Shoemaker

 

MOORE

William

Cowkeeper

 

MULLENS

Robert

Dairyman

 

NORRIS

Henry Edmund

Surgeon

 

POTTER

Elizabeth (Mrs)

Shopkeeper

 

POTTER

William

Boot & shoemaker

 

POWELL

Charles

Farmer

 

PRYER

Giles

Builder etc

 

PURCHASE

Giles

Shopkeeper

 

RADDON

Caroline (Miss)

Straw bonnett maker

 

ROBERTS

William

Gardener

 

SANSOM

Benj.

Commercial Inn

the George

SMITH

Edward

Beer Retailer

 

SMITH

Henry

Baker

 

TRAVERS

Walter

Farmer

 

TREASURE

Benjamin

Grocer & draper

 

TUCKER

Andrew, esq

Solicitor, commissioner in all the law courts, advocate in the Bridport & Axminster County Courts, & agent to the Sun fire & life insurance company.

 

WATTS

Lydia (Mrs)

Shopkeeper

 

WELLMAN

James

Watch & clock maker & jeweller

 

WILD

Charles

Tailor etc

 

WILD

John

Beer Retailer

 

WILD

Robert

Tailor & draper

 

WOONTON

William

Carpenter

 

 

 

 

 

National School

 

 

 

BOARD

Daniel

Master

 

 

 

 

 

Independent School

 

 

 

COUSINS

Mrs

Mistress

 

 

Harrod & Co. Postal & Commercial Directory 1865

Charmouth a parish and village, in the Bridport Division, and Whitchurch hundred and Axminster Union, distant 2 miles E. from Lyme Regis, and 6 W. from Bridport, containing 518 acres. The village takes its name from its position at the mouth of the River Char, and is situated on the sea-coast. The living is a rectory, value 150, with residence. The incumbent is the Rev. Edward Breton A.M. The church [St Matthew] is a handsome flint and stone edifice, consists of nave, chancel, north and south aisles, and tower. There is an Independent Chapel, well endowed; a National School, and an Independent School. George Frean, Esq., is lord of the manor. The population in 1861 was 678.

Catherston is half a mile N.; Stonebarrow is on the other side of the Char.

Postal Regulation. John Carter, sub-postmaster. London mail arrives 6.40.a.m.; second 4 p.m.; western, 8.10.a.m. London dispatch, 7.40.a.m.; second 6.19.p.m.; western 4.p.m. Money-orders are granted and paid at this office. Post office Savings Bank.

CLERGY, GENTRY ETC.

   

BIRCH

Mrs.

   

BRETON

Rev. E

M. A.

Vicarage

BULLEN

Capt. Charles

 

R. N.

CLARENCE

George Esq.,

 

Langmore House

COLLIER

Charles, Esq.,

 

Bellair House

DAY

Edward

   

DE BONANNY

Madame

   

DE OHAVELLE

Mrs.

   

GODDARD

The Misses

   

HALL

George L Esq.,

   

HARRISON

James Esq.,

   

HENNING

Miss Sophia

   

HYDE

Mrs.

   

LIDDON

Miss 

   

LUDLAM

Mrs.

   

MALLOCK

Mrs.

   

MERRICKS

Mrs.

   

MONTEFIORE

Rev. Thomas Law

   

NASH

Rev. John

Independent

 

NORRIS

Henry Esq.,

   

NORRIS

Henry Edmund Esq.,

   

PALMER

E. C. Esq.,

   

POULSON

The Misses

   

SAUN DERS

George Esq.,

   

SMITH

Mrs John

   

SMITH

Mrs Partridge

   

STUART

Mrs.

   

SYMES

Joseph Esq.,

   

TEMPLER

Mrs.

   

TUCKER

Andrew Esq.,

   

COMMERCIAL

     

BROWN

John

Farmer

Stonebarrow

BURTON

George

Blacksmith & Beer Retailer

 

CARTER

John W

Family Grocer & Postmaster

 

CHILCOTT

George William

Miller

 

COLES

John

Baker & Confectioner

 

LANGE

Mrs Caroline

Matron

Convalescent Home

COOK

James Reuben

Stonemason

 

DARK

William

Shoemaker

 

DEAN

Reuben

Shopkeeper

 

DEAN

William

Baker & Confectioner

 

DUNN

John

Shopkeeper And Mason

 

FELSTONE

Mrs Sarah

Shopkeeper

 

GORGE

William

Parish Clerk

 

GORGE

Thomas

Painter And Glazier

 

HOARE

Mr

Builder And House Agent

 

HODGE

Mrs Mary

Grocer And Beer Retailer

 

HODGES

John

Butcher

 

HODGES

John

Lodging House

 

HOGCHESTER

Edward Coles

Farmer

 

HOLLY

George

Commercial Inn And Posting House

Coach & Horses

HUNTER

John

 

Collector Of Fossils & Pleasure Boat Owner

LAMB

Edward

Draper & Grocer

Draper & Grocer

LOVE

Edward

Butcher

 

LOVE

Edward 

 

George Inn

LOVE

James

Butcher

 

LUGG

John

Boot & Shoemaker

 

MOORE

William

Cowkeeper

 

MORCOME

& Sons

Cement Manufacturers

 

NORRIS

Henry Edmund Esq.,

Surgeon

 

PAINE

George

Beer Retailer

 

PEARCE

John

Farmer

Wood Farm

PIDGEON

William

Shopkeeper

 

POTTER

John

Grocer 

 

POTTER

William

Boot & Shoemaker

 

PRYER

Giles

Builder 

 

RADDON

Miss C

Straw Bonnet Maker

 

RYALL

Samuel

Draper 

 

SMITH

Edward

Beer Draper

 

STAMP

John

Market Gardener

 

TRAVERS

Walter

Farmer

 

TUCKER

Andrew 

Solicitor, Commissioner for Oaths in all Law Courts, and Agent to the Sun Fire & Life Insurance Co.

WELLMAN

James

Watch & Clock Maker and Jeweller

WILD

Charles, Esq.,

Hairdresser

 

WILD

John

Beer Retailer

 

WILD

Robert

Tailor

 

 

POST OFFICE DIRECTORY 1875

Charmouth is a pleasant watering place, on the shore of the English channel, a village and parish in the Bridport petty sessional division, Whitchurch hundred, Axminster union and county court district, diocese of  Salisbury, archdeaconry of Dorset, and rural deanery of Bridport, 2 miles east from Lyme Regis, 6 west from Bridport, irs nearest railway station, and 146 from London;  it is  situated on the high road between Dorchester and Exeter, and takes its name from the river Char, a small stream that flows through the valley near which it is built: it is a place of great antiquity, being on a branch of the trackway called Ikeneld Street, which left Morcombelake and passed through Charmouth & Lyme Regis, over the hills to Colyford, Sidbury, Woodbury Castle, and Exeter.  During the time the Romans occupied Dorsetshire, it was one of their stations, and called Carea Arixa; in 833 great battles were fought between King Egbert’s army and the Danes, who landed from 35 ships, and made great slaughter:  it is much frequented by visitors, from its peculiar advantages, the mildness of the climate, and the purity of the sea water.  The views around are extremely beautiful, especially from the eastern cliff – Cain’s Folly.  GOLDEN CAP HILL, one of the most lofty, is 600 feet high.  The river Char produces some fine trout, and the beach and cliffs near the BLACK VEN HILLS and the Golden Cap will be interesting to the geologist.  During 1864 a fine specimen of a new species of Plesiosaurus Rostratus (Owen) was discovered here by E.C.H. Day, esq., P.G.S., and purchased of him for the British Museum: ammonites are found in great quantities.  On the western cliffs is the Great Gun Battery, with other buildings belonging to the coastguard station:  on the beach beneath are bathing machines.  The church of St. Andrew is a handsome building of flint and stone, erected on the site of the old one in 1836, and improved in 1861:  it consists of chancel, nave, and aisles, with square embattled tower containing 3 bells and clock;  the roof is supported by octagonal columns, and is lighted by lancet windows;  that in the east, three in the north aisle, and one in the south aisle, are of stained glass, the three former contain representations of The Nativity, The Baptism of Christ and Christ Blessing Little Children, Philip and the Eunuch, and The Death of Rachel:  the south one illustrates The Resurrection, as mentioned in the 28th chapter of St Matthew, and is in memory of Mary, eldest daughter of the Rev. E. R. Breton, who died June 5th 1865, aged 19:  at the back of the communion table is a richly carved raredos;  in the gallery at the west end is a fine-toned organ: there are some interesting mural monuments, removed from the old church.  In the churchyard are many tombs and tombstones, some with very curious inscriptions.  The church will seat nearly 500 persons.  The register dates from the year 1564.  The living is a rectory, yearly value £150, with residence, inclusive of glebe, in the gift of James Hunt, esq., of Cromwell Road, London.  The rectory house is on the south side, through the churchyard.  The National schools are supported by a Government grant and voluntary subscriptions.  The Independent chapel was founded in 1689, rebuilt in 1815, and restored in 1866.  Attached to the chapel burial ground is a house, of great antiquity, with heavy oak ceilings, arches and a very large chimney.  The almshouses are for the benefit of soldiers widows.  The Convalescent Home was established in 1858 by the late Lord Herbert of Lea in connexion with the Salisbury Infirmary and contains 20 beds.  The village hospital, established in 1867 is supported by voluntary contributions.  There are several charities, namely, the Sea Lane, Marker, Cattlebury, and Bullen, amounting to a yearly value of about £90, divided among the poor of the parish by the rector and churchwardens.  A cricket club is established here, and a public pic-nic takes place annually on the 28th of June: later in the summer is a regatta.  The principal inn is the Coach and Horses.  John Hawkshaw, esq, is lord of the manor.  The chief landowners are John Hawkshaw, esq., Capt.Charles Bullen, R.N. and Mrs Stuart.  The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats;  the area is 518 acres of which 85 are water and foreshore:  gross estimated rental, £3,840; rateable value, £2,528;  the population in 1871 was 644.
Parish Clerk, William Gordge.
POST & MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE, Savings Bank & Government Annuity & Insurance Office – George Mortimer, postmaster.  Dispatch of letters: Box closes for London & North of England at 7.50 a.m. 4.50 p.m. & 6 p.m.; for West of England, South Wales etc., at 4.50 p.m.;  for London, Channel Islands, Scotland & Ireland at 6 p.m.; & for Lyme (only) at 10 p.m.  Delivery from all parts, 8 a.m. ; London etc day mail, 5.10 p.m. Money orders issued & paid from 9 a.m. till 6 p.m.;  Saturdays 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.

INSURANCE AGENTS:-
Accidental & Plate Glass London & General, J. Wellman
Sun, J Stevens
West of England, J Wellman
NationalSchool, George Henry Trott, master; Mrs Alice Trott, mistress
CONVEYANCE – Huxford’s van leaves the Coach &  Horses Inn for the Axminster railway station, on Tuesdays, Thursdays & Saturdays, at 10 a.m., returning again at 2.30 p.m.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS

 

 

       

BULLEN

Capt. Charles

J.P.

R.N.

CLARKE

Rev. Francis

Independent

 

COLLETT

Capt. Henry

 

R.N.

GODDARD

Miss

 

 

HENNING

Miss

 

 

HUNT

Miss

 

 

HYDE

Mrs

 

 

KNIGHT

Mrs

 

 

LACY

Mrs

 

 

LIDDEN

Miss

 

 

McADAM

Patrick

 

 

MARRYAT

Miss

 

 

MONTEFIORE

Rev. Thomas Law

M.A. 

Rector of Catherstone Lewston

MORRIS

Langmoor

 

 

MOULE

Rev. Horatio

M.A. 

 

MUNRO

Capt. Campbell

J.P.

Fern Hill

NORRIS

Henry Edmonds

M.R.C.S, L.S.A.

 

PALMER

Edward Cleave

 

 

POULSON

Misses

 

 

SILLAR

David

 

 

SMITH

Mrs John

 

 

SMITH

Mrs Partridge

 

 

STUART

Mrs

& at 9 Upper Harley Street, Cavendish Square, London w

SYMES

Joseph

 

Knapp House

SYMES

Mrs

 

 

TEMPLAR

Miss

 

 

TUCKER

Mrs Andrew

 

 

WILSON

Misses

 

 

WINDSOR

Miss

 

 

 

 

 

 

COMMERCIAL

 

 

 

ASHTON

John

Carpenter

 

BAGG

Robert

Gardener & seedman

 

BILES

Samuel

Beer retailer & licensed to let horses & carriages

 

BOARD

Daniel

Assistant overseer & collector of taxes

 

BRAGG

James

Mason

 

BRAGG

Thos.

Beer retailer & shopkeeper

 

BRIDLE

Samuel

Lodging house

 

BRINSON

William

Farmer

 

BURRIDGE

George

Shopkeeper

 

Charmouth Village Hospital

(H.E. Norris)

Surgeon

 

CLARKE

Charles

Pork butcher

 

COLES

John

Baker & confectioner

 

COLLINS

Arthur

Shoe maker

 

Convalescent Home

(Mrs Caroline Lange)

Matron

 

COOK

Amelia (Mrs)

Laundress

 

CRABB

George

Shoe maker

 

DEAN

Wm Bezley

Baker & shopkpr

 

DURRANT

Reuben

Farmer

Wood Farm

FELSTONE

Emma (Miss)

Linen & woollen draper

 

FELSTONE

Sarah (Mrs)

Grocer & tea dir

 

FIPPEN

Thomas

Fish dealer

 

FOWLER

Hannah Mrs

Lodging house & laundress

 

GEAR

Matthew

Fish dealer

 

GEAR

Tobit

Tinman

 

GOLLOP

Edward

Mason

 

GOLLOP

William

Mason

 

GORDGE

M (Miss)

Milliner & Dress maker

 

GORDGE

Thomas

Painter & Glazier

 

GORDGE

William

Tailor

 

HAZZARD

Robert Henry

Grocer & ironmonger & house agent

 

HOARE

William

Carpenter & builder

 

HODDER

John

Lodging house

 

HODDER

Joshua

Lodging house

 

HODGES

Henry

Butcher & gardener

 

HODGES

Richard

Butcher

 

HOLLY

George

Commercial inn & posting house

Coach & Horses 

HUNTER

Isaac

Pleasure boat owner & collector or fossils

 

HUNTER

John

Collector of fossils & pleasure boat owner

 

HUNTER

Robert

Bathing machine proprietor, collector of fossils & pleasure boat owner

 

HUTCHINGS

Christina (Mrs)

Ladies boarding & day school

 

HYDE

George

Master Mariner

 

JEFFERY

John

Gardener

 

KNIGHT

Mathew

Master Mariner

 

LARCOMBE

Robert

Mason

 

LARCOMBE

Susan (Mrs)

Laundress

 

LOCK

Joseph

Mason

 

LOVE

Edward

Butcher

 

LOVE

Samuel

Plumber, painter & ldging.ho

 

LUGG

John

Boot & shoe maker

 

MOORE

William

Cow keeper & licensed to let horse & carriage

 

MORTIMER

George

Grocer, draper, china & glass warehouse & postmaster

 

NORRIS

Henry Edmonds

M.R.C.S., L.S.A. Surgeon

 

NORRIS

William

Farmer

Backlands

PARRET

Thomas Saunders

Whitesmith, bellhanger & gunsmith

 

PAYNE

George

Carman

 

PENNY

Martha (Mrs)

Lodging house

 

PIDGEON

William

Carman

 

POTTER

Thomas

Shoe maker

 

POTTER

William

Boot & shoe maker

 

PRYER

Charles

Draper, builder

 

PRYER

Harry Wm

Commercial Inn, stone, marble monument mason

George 

RAPSEY

Jesse

Carpenter & wheelwright

residence, Wotton Fitzpaine

STEVENS

John

Grocer, wine & spirit merchant

 

TARR

Bessie (Miss)

Dress maker

 

VALINS

Sarah (Mrs)

Lodging House

 

WALLIS & SON

Millers

Charmouth mill, & at Town Mills, Lyme Regis

 

WELLMAN

Jas.

Watch maker & toy dealer

 

WILD

John

Beer retailer & tailor

 

WILD

Robert Charles

Tailor & draper

 

WRIGHT

George

Drill instructor to 5th Dorset volunteer artillery

 

 

 CHARMOUTH PAGE            OPC HOME PAGE