Child Okeford

Child Okeford is a village on the River Stour and  is 4 miles south east form Sturminster Newton and 6 miles north west from Blandford Forum. To the north & west are the parishes of Manston & West Orchard, Iwerne Courtney lies to the east, Steepleton Iwerne to the south east, Shillingstone to the south west and Hammoon to the west. The village is situated at the foot of the ancient Hambledon Hill, a Neolithic ceremonial burial site with an Iron Age hill fort.  The Hill was also the site of a battle in the English Civil War. A century later General James Wolfe used the hill's steeper sides to prepare his troops; they later surprised the French at Quebec by scaling the Plains of Abraham under cover of darkness.

The church of St Nicholas (left) has a fine Norman tower and the east wall of the chancel has some excellent wall paintings. The registers date from the year 1651. There is also a Wesleyan chapel in the parish. The war memorial in the form of a stone cross stands at the road junction known in the village as The Cross. Old records speak of a megalith that used to lie where The Cross is now, marking an ancient crossroads.

There is a Post Office and the National School was built in 1846 and then rebuilt and enlarged in 1874 for 220 children.  The area of the parish extends to 1561 acres and most of this is laid to pasture, with some wheat, barley and roots being grown. The population in 1851 was 778, in 1861 it was 777 , in 1881 it had risen to 837 and in 1891 was 789 persons.

Photographs courtesy of Dorinda Miles. Text above extracted from Kelly's Directory of 1895.


There is currently no Online Parish Clerk (OPC) for Child Okeford. This page is made possible due to donations of transcriptions from various people. If you would be interested in being OPC for Child Okeford please contact the OPC Co-ordinator


Census Transcription of Census; 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901.
Parish Registers
Transcription of Baptisms 1813-1820
Transcription of Marriages 1813-1820
Transcription of Burials 1813-1820
Postal Directories Name extract from Harrod's 1865 Directory
Church Memorials Photographs and transcriptions of Memorials in the Church
Rectors A list of Rectors of the Parish 1297-1995
Photographs More Photographs of the church & village
Other Records Extracts from Hutchins History of Dorset 1870
Names from the Protestation Return of 1641
Will of Sarah Christopher 1757
Maps The 1891 Ordnance Survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Child Okeford' under place search.
For modern location maps visit:  www.multimap.com

For a 1920s map of the area, click on the thumbnail on the left [144Kb]

 


OPC PAGE

Visitors to Dorset OPC

shopify site analytics

Privacy Policy

Copyright (c) 2016 Dorset OPC Project