Frome Vauchurch


Frome Vauchurch is a parish and village on the banks of the River Frome and 8 miles north-west of Dorchester. The parish is adjacent to Maiden Newton on the east, Wynford Eagle on the south-west, Toller Fratrum to the west and Chilfrome to the north-west. The church of St Francis is small and built of flint and rubble. It has a chancel, nave, south porch and a turret containing one bell and seats 60 people. The roof was replaced in 1879.  The church registers which are fragmentary date from 1642.  

The children of the parish attend the school at the adjoining parishof Maiden Newton. The area is 614 acres. In 1895 there were three farms which formed nearly the whole parish, the soil is various and the main crops in the 19th century were corn with some pasture. The population in 1861 was 174; 1871, 189; 1891, 142; 141 in 1931 and 140 in 2001.



The post of Online Parish Clerk (OPC) is currently vacant
If you would like to volunteer for the role, please contact the OPC Project Co-ordinator
Contributions of additional resource materials for the site are always welcome


Census 1841 Census
1851 Census
1861 Census
1871 Census
1881 Census
1891 Census
1901 Census
Parish Registers
The Parish Registers date from 1642, the Bishop's Transcripts from 1731. Donations of transcriptions post 1812 are always welcome
Baptisms 1654-1812 [PR] [Kim Parker]
Marriages 1667-1812 [PR] [Kim Parker]
Burials 1642-1812 [PR] [Kim Parker]
Marriages 1667-1812 [Philimore] [Peter Collins]
Other Records Monumental Inscription index [Jan Hibberd]
Postal Directories
Photographs Further photographs of the church and village
Maps The 1891 Ordnance Survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Frome Vauchurch' under place search
For modern location maps visit:-  www.multimap.com
 

OPC PAGE

Visitors to Dorset OPC

shopify site analytics

Privacy Policy

Copyright (c) 2016 Dorset OPC Project