Holwell is a parish and
sited on Oxford Clay in the Blackmore Vale 6 miles south east of Sherborne. It was formerly a detached part of Somerset,
until it was transferred to Dorset in October 1844. Caundle Brook, a small stream,
the principle tributary of the River Lydden, flows through the northern
part of the parish and here was located the original medieval settlement. It contains the church,
a large early 18th century rectory and a few stone cottages, a thatched store, and an inn on the cross roads by Crouch Hill.
Known as The Borough it forms a perfect little hamlet. The church of St Lawrence, which was restored in 1885 is stone built and comprises
chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and square embattled tower. The registers date from the year 1653.
A parochial school was built in
1874 for 80 children and there was a post office and Wesleyan chapel. The parish extends to
2342 acres with the soil mainly clay, the land being used mainly for
pasture. Higher and Lower Buckshawe form a hamlet one mile south west,
Crouch Hill one mile south and Woodbridge two miles north east. The
population in 1891 was 377 persons.
The new Online Parish Clerk (OPC) for Holwell is Kim Parker
1851 Census [John Ridout]
1861 Census [Caryl Parsons]
Marriages 1655-1726, 1727-1836, 1837-1910
Burials 1653-1726, 1727-1795, 1796-1850, 1851-1930
Holwell Poor Rate 1755
Holwell Vestry Book Extracts 1750-1873
|Land Records||Holwell Tithes 1776, 1789|
|Monumental Inscriptions||Monumental Inscriptions index|
School Admissions Register 1886-1922
School Log Book 1875-1902 1902-1922
School Managers Minute Book 1903-1949
|Directories||1859, 1885, 1903 & 1923|
|Military Record||Holwell Militia List 1799|
Holwell Petition 1884
See also; Name extracts from Woodbridge Estate Survey in 1762 in the parishes of Holwell, Lydlinch, Stock Gaylard, Caundle Bishop, Caundle Marsh. etc.
|Resources||Holwell Information at Dorset History Centre|
|Maps||The 1891 Ordnance Survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Holwell' under place search.|
|Records held at the Dorset History Centre
Christenings 1653-1888. Marriages 1655-1992. Burials 1653-1970.
Photos (left to right): East end of the church, the old Victorian post
box at Barnes Cross and the stocks just outside the churchyard
Visitors to Dorset OPC
Copyright (c) 2016 Dorset OPC Project