Iwerne Courtney

Also known locally as Shroton

Shroton Church

 

Iwerne Courtney known locally as Shroton is situated in a valley just off the Blandford to Shaftesbury road. It is first mentioned in the Domesday book as just 'Werne' by the mid 13th Century the Courtney affix had appeared though spelt Curtney as that time. The Coutney family, Earls of Devon held the Manor from the early 13th Century. The other, locally used name of Shroton derives from the Old English scir-refa & tun meaning 'the sheriff's estate', at the time of Domesday the manor belonged to Baldwin of Exeter, sheriff of Devon. The registers date from 1563.



The post of Online Parish Clerk (OPC) is currently vacant
If you would like to volunteer for the role, please contact the OPC Project Co-ordinator
Contributions of additional resource materials for the site are always welcome


Census 1891 Census by John Ridout
Parish Registers Baptisms
1731-1812, 1813-1844 by Janet Courtney

Marriages
1832-1912 by Richard Travell
Postal Directories Harrod's Directory 1865
Other Records Rectors 1295-1986 by Dorinda Miles
St Mary's Memorial Index by Jan Hibberd
Photographs Photographs by Dorinda Miles
Memorials by Dorinda Miles
Further Photographs by Julie Browning
Useful Links  
Other information  
Maps The 1891 Ordnance Survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Turnworth' under place search.For modern location maps visit:-  www.multimap.com

OPC PAGE

Visitors to Dorset OPC

shopify site analytics

Privacy Policy

Copyright (c) 2016 Dorset OPC Project