Litton Cheney

Litton Cheney is a parish near the Bredy river and the road from Bridport to Dorchester. It is an inland parish with Swyre and Puncknowle between it and the south coast. The church of St Mary is a solid structure built of stone and contains some interesting architectural features as well as some monuments to members of the Henvill family and an early tomb to George Dawbeny. The registers date from 1624. In the 19thC a Primitive Methodist chapel was erected.

The hamlets of Nether Combe and Stancombe are in the parish. Higher Eggerton was transferred to the parish of Askerwell in 1884 and Ashwell and Gorwell have been transferred to Longbredy. A Parochial School was built in 1878 for 80 children. The parish area is 3,817 acres with the soil mainly chalk. The chief crops used to be wheat, barley and some pasture. The population in 1891 was 427 persons.


The new OPC for Litton Cheney is Lise Hughes

Many thanks to Valerie Pettifer who has now handed over to Lise. Please feel free to contact Lise by e-mail.  Please note that Lise does not live in or near Litton Cheney


Census 1841 [Valerie Pettifer]
1851 [Royston Clarke]
1861 [Valerie Pettifer]
1871 [Ron Adams]
Parish Registers
Baptisms  1732-1880 [Terry Pine]
Marriages 1614-1812 1814-1843 [Valerie Pettifer/Terry Pine]
Burials       1731-1880 [Terry Pine]
 
Postal Directories Directory Entries for 1865, 1880, 1895 & 1935 are available..
Monumental Inscriptions St Mary's Monumental Inscriptions index
Other Material Bastardy papers 1758 - 1835
Photographs Seven more Photographs of the church and village.
Maps The 1891 Ordnance Survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Litton Cheney' under place search.
For modern location maps visit:-  www.multimap.com or click on the thumbnail on the left for a 1920s map of the area. 

OPC PAGE

Visitors to Dorset OPC

shopify site analytics

Privacy Policy

Copyright (c) 2016 Dorset OPC Project