St Mary Magdalene
St Mary Magdalene, Courtesy of Peter Walker

Loders is a parish on the Asker river being 2 miles north-east of Bridport. It is a linear village, sitting in a long valley between Waddon Hill and Boarsbarrow Hill, following the road between Bradpole and Askerswell, with another road parallel to the river Asker. The village is made up of three areas, in the west is Uploders with its own public house and chapel. To the west of Uploders is Yondover, where the village playing field is located. Further westwards is Lower Loders which has a public house, the church, village hall and a school. Lower Loders is now generally known as Loders.

The River Asker in Celtic times was known as Lodre or Lodres hence the name of the village. The Church of St Mary Magdalene as the priory Church from the 12th - early 15th Century, although restored in the 19th Century it still remains mostly medieval with various parts of the Church dating from the 12th to 15th Century. The village school was opened in 1869 on land owned by the Nepean family of Loders Court. It was originally called Lady Nepean's School.

Nearby is the tiny hamlet of Mangerton where there is a working water mill dating from the 17th Century. It is open to the public and is home to the Museum of Rural Bygones

The post of Online Parish Clerk (OPC) is currently vacant
If you would like to volunteer for the role, please contact the OPC Project Co-ordinator
Contributions of additional resource materials for the site are always welcome

Census 1841 Census [John Ridout]
1861 Census [John Ridout]
1871 Census [John Ridout]
Parish Registers & Bishops Transcripts Baptisms
1700-1715 [Jan Hibberd]
1731-1812, 1813-1880 [Bishops Transcripts]

[Alan Bartlett] [Philimores]
1731-1833 [Emma Squires] [Bishops Transcripts]

1731-1812, 1813-1880 [Emma Squires]
1881-1900 [Jan Hibberd]
Postal Directories  
Other Records Protestation Returns 1641 by Tony Higgins
Useful Links  
Monumental Inscriptions St Mary Magdalene Monumental Inscriptions
Maps The 1891 Ordnance Survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Loders' under place search.
For modern location maps visit:- www.multimap.com

Records held at the Dorset History Centre
[Ref PE-LOD]
Christenings 1636-1991. Marriages 1636-1985. Burials 1636-1993.
Registration District
(for the purpose of civil registration births, marriages, deaths & civil partnerships)
1 Jul 1837-31 Mar 1997: Bridport
1 Apr 1997-30 Sep 2000: West Dorset
1 Oct 2000-16 Oct 2005: South & West Dorset


Visitors to Dorset OPC

shopify site analytics

Privacy Policy

Copyright (c) 2018 Dorset OPC Project