Lydlinch with Stock Gaylard

including King's Stag

Lydlinch is a village and a parish 3 miles west from Sturminster Newton. It is situated on the River Lydd or Lyddon, a small river that feeds into the Stour. Today is is a quiet cluster of houses situated along a lane to the church, just south of the Sturminster to Stalbridge road. Starting in the north and travelling clockwise it is adjacent to the parishes of Stalbridge, Sturminster Newton, Fifehead Neville, Haselbury Bryan, Pulham, Holwell, Bishops Caundle and Stourton Caundle.

The Church of St Thomas a Becket dates from the 14th century, the square tower contains a peal of five bells and has a clock. There are parish charities dating from 1811 when land was left for the Roberts & Bissell charities for apprenticing poor children, distribution amongst the poor and for repairs to the church. Mrs Robert English used to have tile and brick works in the parish. A National School was built in 1874. The land area is 2446 acres and comprises mainly pasture, the population in 1891 was 326 in the ecclesiastical parish.

In the 19th century the Parish of Stock Gaylard was added to Lydlinch for civil purposes. Stock Gaylard is south of Lydlinch, 5 miles W by S of Sturminster. The church of St. Barnabas, standing in the grounds of Stock House, was entirely rebuilt on the site of the old church and in the same form, by the Yeatman family, in memory of Harry Farr and Emma Yeatman, his wife, and was re-opened 23rd April, 1885, by the Right Rev. Bishop Kelly D.D. acting as commissioner for the bishop of the diocese: it is of stone in the Gothic style, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch and a turret at the west end containing 2 bells: beneath a recessed Gothic arch on the south side of the nave is a monument with recumbent effigy in armour, supposed to represent Sir Ingelramus le Waleys Knt. who died about 1275: there are sittings for 60 persons.

The hamlet of King (or King's) Stag is located in the south-west of the original parish of Lydlinch.

Photographs Dorset OPC Project 1998-2013


The Online Parish Clerk (OPC) for Lydlinch is Clynn Lee

To contact Clynn please use the above link. Please put 'OPC Lydlinch' as your subject line



Census Lyndlinch Census
The 1841 Census [John Ridout]
The 1861 Census
The 1871 Census
The 1881 Census
Stock Gaylard Census
The 1851 Census with photographs
The 1861 Census
The 1871 Census
Parish Registers
Parish Register Transcriptions
Baptisms, 1559-1650, 1650-1750, 1752-1812, 1813-1840
Marriages 1560-1812, 1813-1836
Burials 1560-16991700-1812, 1813-1840

Stock Gaylard
Baptisms 1722 - 1812
Marriages 1722 - 1838
Burials 1722 - 1812
Monumental Inscriptions King's Stag MI index
Stock Gaylard St Barnabas MI index
Overseers Records Extracts from the Overseers Accounts for the years 1767 to 1820 are on-line
Rectors Names of Rectors, Curates & Churchwardens extracted from the Registers
Woodbridge Estate Survey Name extract from Woodbridge Estate Survey 1762, part of which was in Lydlinch
Wills A List of PCC Wills for Lydlinch residents
A list of PCC Wills for Stock Gaylard residents
Photographs Sixteen Photographs of the church, farms, cottages and monumental headstones
17th Century Records The 1641 Protestation Returns for Lydlinch
The 1641 Protestation Returns for Stock Gaylard
Hearth Tax for Lydlinch 1662-1664
Other Records Lydlinch Militia List 1799
Bagber Militia List 1799
Stock Gaylard Militia List 1799
Lydlinch School & Romayne's Charity
Lydlinch National School Log Book 1875-1920
Maps The 1891 Ordnance Survey maps of the can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Lydlinch' under place search.
For modern location maps visit:-  www.multimap.com
 


King's Stag Memorial Chapel
Copyright Mike Searle and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence


St Barnabas Church, Stock Gaylard
Copyright Chris Downer and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence


OPC PAGE

Visitors to Dorset OPC

shopify site analytics

Privacy Policy

Copyright (c) 2015 Dorset OPC Project