Dorset OPC

Parkstone

including the Parishes of St Peter, St Osmund & St Luke

Dorset OPC

SZ0391 : Parkstone: parish church of St. Peter by Chris Downer

Parkstone: Parish Church of St. Peter
  © Copyright Chris Downer and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence

Parkstone is an area of Poole in Dorset. It is divided into 'Lower' and 'Upper' Parkstone. Lower Parkstone is centred on Ashley Cross, near to the Parish Church of St. Peter, part of The Parish of Parkstone St.Peter and St.Osmund, with Branksea St.Mary.  Parkstone was originally a tything of the Parish of Canford Magna, but in 1833 the church of St Peter's, Parkstone (left) was built to serve the growing community. By 1865 Parkstone had become a separate ecclesiastical parish.

At the time the parish had about 1,000 people and stretched down to Sandbanks. By 1870 a decision was made to build a bigger church. The construction was not completed until 1883 and is one of the largest churches in the Diocese of Salisbury, complete with a throne for the bishop. By the turn of the century the people of Parkstone had moved their sights up the hill and decided to rebuild the tin hut at St.Osmund's and replace it with a massive Italian Basilica

St. Osmund's (right) was built in 1913 as the parish church of St. Osmund, Parkstone. It remained so until the late 1990s when its closure was forced by structural unsoundness. In 2005 it changed hands and became the Romanian Orthodox Church's first acquisition in the UK.

Because of the proximity to the shoreline, and the more residential nature of Lower Parkstone, it is the more sought-after district, and originally included Lilliput and the Sandbanks Peninsula (now part of Canford Cliffs) within its official bounds.  Despite the residential reputation, Parkstone was the site of several industrial undertakings, the largest being George Jennings South Western Pottery, a manufacturer of salt-glaze drainage and sanitary pipes. Much of this area was agricultural until the 1920s and 1930s.


 St Osmund, Parkstone
İMike Russell 2010


St Luke, Parkstone
İMike Russell 2010

The Parish of St Luke's was formed in 1903 following a review of local parish boundaries. The foundaton stone for the new church was laid in 1907 by Cornelia, Lady Wimborne. Construction was completed in 1908 but the church was not fully consecrated until 1914. In the 1901 census the new parish only had 10 houses, the school and 70 people. However, even by 1905 development work in the local area was significant. This continued, despite World War One, especially in the North of the parish and by the time of the 1921 census, the population had risen to 1,293.


The new Online Parish Clerk (OPC) for Parkstone is Carrie Meerten

Carrie would be very pleased to receive donations of transcriptions, images etc that can be used to enhance the information on this page


Census 1841 Census of Parkstone [Rosemary Valentine]
Parish Registers Baptisms 1847-1877 [BT] - St Peter's [Frances Cortis]
Burials 1847-1877 [BT] - St Peter's [Frances Cortis]
Postal Directories Extracts from Parkstone Directory 1867 [Dorinda Miles]
Photographs  
Church Records  
Other Records  
Links
Maps  
Parish Records held at the Dorset History Centre, Dorchester
Parkstone St Luke
Parkstone St Osmund
Parkstone St Peter

 

Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns
1904-1950 1908-1973   1908-1974
1911-1969 1999-2000 1911-1929 1911-1969
1833-1992 1839-2000 1833-1992 1939-1987
See also Heatherlands (Parkstone St John) and Canford Magna

OPC PAGE

Visitors to Dorset OPC

shopify site analytics

Privacy Policy

Copyright (c) 2017 Dorset OPC Project