KELLY'S DIRECTORY 1895
from an original volume of the directory, by Jan Genge
SHAFTESBURY, a corporate and market town and municipal borough, on the Witshire border, is 102 miles from London, 28 N-E from Dorchester, 20 S-W from Salisbury, 15 E-N-E from Sherborne, 8 E from Sturminster Newton and 12 N-E from Blandford; it is in the Northern division of the county, petty sessional division and union of its name, hundred of Monkton-up-Wimborne, rural deanery of Shaftesbury (Shaftesbury portion), archdeanery of Dorset and diocese of Salisbury. The town is said to be mentioned as a borough in the Domesday Survey (1086), but was first incorporated, according to Hutchins (Hist.Dorset, 1774, and later ed.), by Queen Elizabeth. The earliest known charter is that of Jas.I. granted in 1604, and confirmed by Chas. II. Under the provisions of the "municipal Corporations Act, 1835" (5 & 6 Wm. IV., c.76), the corporation was reformed, and now consists of a mayor, four aldermen and twelve councillors, who also act as the Urban Sanitary Authority. The borough returned two members to Parliament in 23 Edw.I. (1204-5), and continued to do so until the passing of the "Reform Act 1832" (2 & 3 Wm.IV., c 45), by which the number was reduced to one, and by the "Redistribution of Seats Act, 1885 (48 & 49 Vict., c. 23), the representation was merged in that of the Northern division of the county. The nearest railway station is Semley, 3 miles N-E, on the Salisbury and Yeovil branch of the South Western railway, opened May 2, 1859, affording communication with Portsmouth, Southampton, London, and also the West and North of England. Shaftesbury is a very ancient town, and is said to be the Caer Paladwr of the Britons, its present name being in part derived from the A.S. "Sceaft", the point of a hill; Roman coins have been found here; an abbey, with a nunnery of the Benedictine order, was established here during the Saxon period: the site has been ascertained, but scarcely any remains of the buildings are now extant: it was, however, once a place of great resort for pilgrims, and it is said to have had some of the richest endowments in England. King Edward the Martyr, murdered at Corfe Castle by his mother-in-law Elfrida, A.D. 978, was buried here. King Canute died in Shaftesbury on the 12th November, 1035, and was buried in Winchester. In 1861 a stone coffin, containing a skeleton, and having also therein an abbot's crosier and gold ring, was discovered whilst some excavations were being made on the site of the old abbey.
Shaftesbury is situated on an eminence, the approach to which is by a steep ascent, its elevation, 700 feet above sea level, affords it a fine bracing air. The supply of water is derived from a large reservoir underground, pumped by steam power into an upper reservoir, whence the whole town is supplied. The streets are lighted with gas by a company. Some of the houses are very ancient, but the upper portion of the town is modern, and contains a large number of good houses, with excellent shops, hotels, banks and other buildings: many of the old buildings have been replaced by a better class of houses, and the streets have been much improved. St. James', or the lower portion of the town, consists chiefly of small tenements. A little to the south and west from the Holy Trinity church is a delightful promenade called the Park, sheltered from the north winds by a row of trees, partially extending over the walk: the view over the adjacent plains from this spot is most pleasing: this walk is one of the connections between the higher and lower portions of the town, and contains the Russian trophy gun mounted on its carriage; it has recently been continued by a path called Pine walk to St. John's Hill.
The borough formerly comprised parts of the parishes of Holy Trinity, St. Peter and St. James, which, by order of the County Council have been formed into one parish, called Shaftesbury, under "Local Government Act, 1894." Here were formerly twelve churches; there are now only three-St. Peter, the Holy Trinity and St. James. St. Peter, the most ancient of the churches, is a building of stone and stands in the High street, the architecture of which shows that it was built in the latter part of the 13th century: the interior had succumbed to the influence of time to such an extent that it was pronounced unsafe: it has not been in constant use since 1878, and has only been used for service for a few months in the summer of 1886: since then the tower has been thoroughly repaired at a cost of about £700; a further sum of about £250 is still required to complete the work: it has a nave and square western tower, which contains a peal of 6 of the sweetest toned bells in this county; they are of a great age: this venerable relic of ecclesiastical note is of interest to antiquaries. The register dates from the year 1623.
The Holy Trinity church, in Bimport street, was rebuilt on the old site in 1842, chiefly in the Early English style: it is a handsome specimen of this kind of architecture, and consists of nave, aisles and large north and south galleries, with choir at west end, north and south porches and a square embattled western tower, 100 feet in height, with pinnacles, and contains 6 bells: the splendid organ was presented at the opening of the church by the late George Thomas esq.: it has a good east window, and will seat 834 people. The register dates from the year 1695. The churchyard of the Holy Trinity contains three handsome avenues of lime trees, shading most of the walks through the burying ground and approaches to the church.
The parishes of Holy Trinity and St. Peter are consolidated. The living is a rectory, average tithe rent-charge £129, gross yearly value £187, net £161, with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Shaftesbury, and held since 1885 by the Rev. Frederick Ehlvers.
The church of St. James, in the liberty of Alcester, which is that part of the old parish of St. James not within the municipal limits, is a handsome structure, chiefly Decorated, of greenstone, with Bath stone dressings, rebuilt in 1866-67, at a cost of £3,350, raised by subscriptions: it has a chancel, nave, aisles and vestry, square embattled western tower of 65 feet, with four pinnacles, a clock and 6 bells: the chancel is paved with encaustic tiles: the aisles are divided from the nave by four arches resting on clustered piers with carved capitals: there are two entrances, one through the base of the tower at the western end and the other by a porch on the north side: the front of the porch is a moulded arch carved with capitals on clustered Purbeck marble shafts, with richly moulded bases: at the east end of the north aisle is an organ: the pulpit if of oak, elaborately carved: a stained memorial window was placed in the chancel in 1884, and there are several other stained windows: the interior is fitted with open benches and will seat 440 people. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a rectory, tithes commuted at £400, average £296, gross yearly value £297, net value £230, with residence in the gift of the Earl of Shaftesbury, and held since 1881 by the Rev. Richard Thurlow M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, chaplain of Shaftesbury union and surrogate. The parish has, in addition to the churchyard, St. John's burial ground or Bury Litton cemetery, the site of the old church of St. John's, all traces of which are now obliterated: this is at about 150 feet above the level of the main part of the parish.
The Society of Friends have a meeting house in St. James' street which has about 100 sittings.
A Congregational chapel was completed in 1858 on the site of the former chapel, erected in 1662: it is a handsome building of Bath stone, supported by four massive Corinthian columns of the same: it will seat from 400 to 500 persons, and the expense, £1,300, was raised by voluntary contributions.
The Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Parsons Pool, erected in 1766, and rebuilt in 1827, will seat 300 persons.
The Brethren meeting house, Salisbury Street, erected in 1886, will hold 250 worshippers.
The Town Hall is a handsome edifice, built at the expense of the late Marquess of Westminster; a tower, containing a good clock, was added in 1879 by the corporation, at a cost of £264.
The Temperance Hall, in Bell street, was opened in the year 1878, at a cost of £775: it is a building of brick and stone, and contains in addition to the offices &c. a spacious hall, 52 feet long by 26 wide, which is used for temperance meetings and lectures and will hold about 500 persons; an ante-room was added in 1883 at a further cost of £60.
The Company of the 1st Volunteer Battalion, Dorsetshire Regiment, have their armoury in Bell street.
The trade of the town is derived principally from the supply of the neighbouring agricultural villages, and from the sale of cheese and butter, the produce of the superior grazing land in the vicinity.
The market day is Saturday. A handsome Markethouse, 270 feet long, was erected at the sole expense of the late Marquess of Westminster, in which no tolls are taken.
The fairs are held on the Saturday before Palm Sunday, on the last Saturday in August, and 23rd of November, for sheep, cattle, cheese and agricultural produce, and pleasure.
A Clerical Library, for the use of the neighbouring clergy, was established, with the assistance of the late Dr. Bray: this is kept in the vestry-room of Holy Trinity church, under the care of the rector, but of late years is not much used.
A Literary Institute, with news-room and library, was established in 1852, under the patronage of the late Marquess of Westminster; in
1894 there were 90 members and 50 lady subscribers; and it is well supplied with newspapers and periodicals, and has a library of about 3,500 volumes, which is now open as a circulating library to other than members.
The Westminster Memorial Cottage Hospital, in the Park road, was built of local stone with Bath stone dressings, at a cost of £2,000, raised by subscription, in memory of the late Marquess of Westminster, and was opened by the Bishop of Salisbury on March 16th, 1874: over the arch of the front entrance is a fine oriel window with cusped heads, and pierced open parapet, and this is surmounted by a gable, in the face of which are the Westminster arms, carved in bold relief: the lower portion consists of convalescent's room, drug store, bath room, larder, kitchen and scullery; and on the upper floor are two wards, four single wards, and nurses' rooms: the hospital contains twelve beds, and one bed for accidents was added in 1884: the number of in-patients treated in 1893 was 85.
The charities of this town are numerous and valuable. In Salisbury street are some remarkably handsome almshouses, of very ancient foundation, for men and women, intended to hold 10 men and 16 women; both men and women have an allowance of six shillings per week each; the men's almshouses have been restored, and are a good specimen of Tudor architecture. The late Marquess of Westminster gave £5,000 in 1865 to these charities for the benefit of the women; and £1,000 was added in 1862 by George Wilkins esq. late of this town.
There are a few other minor charities.
The population of the municipal borough in 1891 was:- Holy Trinity, 907; St. Peter's, 801; St. James, 950 including 69 officers and inmates in the workhouse. The area of the parishes are, Holy Trinity 353 acres; rateable value £2,795. St. James' 1,798 acres; rateable value £4,361; and St. Peter's, 72 acres; rateable value, £2,722. The population of the municipal borough in 1891 was:- Holy Trinity (part of), 797; St. Peter (part of), 790; and St James (part of), 535;
these three are now combined in one parish named Shaftesbury. The area of the borough is 156 acres. A portion of St. James beyond the borough has been formed into a parish named Alcester, the remaining portion and the extra municipal parts of Holy Trinity and St. Peter
have been added to and merged in the parish of Cann. Little Down is a hamlet, three-quarters of a mile north, consisting of a few houses and one farm.
Parish Clerks, St.Peter's and Holy Trinity, Eli Brickell; St. James, John Hayter.
OFFICIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, LOCAL INSTITUTIONS &c
Post, M.O. & T.O., Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office, High street. - Postmaster, George Christopher Mynett.
Dispatch of Mails - Week days - London & Salisbury, 10 a.m.; London, North of England, Southampton & Salisbury, 12.15 p.m.; Bath, Bristol, West of England, South Wales, Gloucester, Berks, Oxon, Wilts, (except Salisbury), 6.30 p.m.; Southampton, Dorset, Hants, Isle of Wight & Channel Islands, 6.30 p.m.; Gillingham, 6.30 p.m.; London, Salisbury & all parts, 8.30 p.m.; with extra half penny stamp till 8-45 p.m. Sundays- London, Salisbury & Southampton, 6 p.m.; Bath, Bristol &c. 6.20 p.m. Deliveries - Week days :- From London & all parts, 7.15 & 10 a.m.; all parts. 3 p.m. On Sundays only one delivery at 7.15 a.m. Office is open on week days for sale of stamps, postal orders &c. from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Money Order, Savings Bank, Inland Revenue, Insurance & Annuity business is transacted between 7 a.m. & 9 p.m. Telegrams from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. On Sundays from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. Parcel mails dispatched at 12, 6 & 8.30 p.m.; delivered at 9 a.m. & 3 p.m. Town Sub-Post. M.O. O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, St. James' - Miss Marion Louisa Brickell, sub-postmistress. Cleared at 9-40 & 11.5 a.m. & 6 & 8 p.m.; Sundays, 5.35 p.m. Wall Letter Boxes - Salisbury St, cleared at 9.50 a.m. 12 noon, 6 & 8.30 p.m.; Sundays, 5.45 pm. Gold Hill cleared at 9-45 & 11.55 a.m. 6.10 & 8.20 p.m.; Sundays, 5.40 p.m. High street cleared at 9.55 a.m. 12.5 noon & 6.5 & 8.30 p.m.; Sundays, 5.55 p.m. Belle Vue, cleared
at 9.15 & 11.50 a.m. 6 & 8.15 p.m.; Sundays, 5.10 p.m.
COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR SHAFTESBURY PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION
Du Boulay John esq. D.L. Donhead Hall, Donhead
Stalbridge Bt Hon. Lord P.C. Motcombe Ho. Shaftesbury
Wolverton Lord. Iwerne Minster, Blandford
Glyn Sir Richard George bart. Gaunts House. Wimborne
Grove Sir Thomas Fraser bart. D.L. Ferne, Salisbury
Benett-Stanford John Montague esq. Pyt House. Tisbury
Best Col. George, Charlton House, Shaftesbury
Gordon, Charles William esq. Wincombe Park. Shaftesbury
Grove Walter John esq. Ferne House. Salisbury
Guest Thomas Merthyr esq. B.A. Inwood, Henstridge, Blandford
Hornby Capt. Geoffrey Stanley Phipps, Sandley House, Gillingham
Howard Col. Samuel Lloyd
Hughes Gibb E esq. Tarrant Gunville, Blandford
Manger Alfred Thomas esq. Stock Hill House, Gillingham
Noel Capt. Gerard Thomas, Sedghill. Shaftesbury
Pelly Sir Harold bart. Thorngrove. Gillingham
Rev. J. Fred esq. Thorngrove. Gillingham
Swinburn-Hanham John Castleman esq. Manston House, Blandford
Troyte-Chafyn-Grove George esq. D.L. North Coker House, Yeovil
Wilkinson Adam esq. Shaftesbury
Petty Sessions are held at the Town Hall as appointed, alternately with Gillingham, at 11 a.m.
The following places are included in the petty sessional division:-
Ashmore, Cann, Compton Abbas, Fontmell Magna, Bourton, Buckhorn Weston, Gillingham,
Iwerne Minster, Kingston Magna, Margaret Marsh, Melbury Abbas, Motcombe, Orchard East,
Orchard West, Shaston Holy Trinity, Shaston St. Peter, Silton, Shaston St. James, East Stower,
Stower Provost, Sutton Waldron. Todber.
The Mayor and the Ex-Mayor
Borough Petty Sessions are held at the Town Hall on the third Monday in each month at 11 a.m. and when necessary for the dispatch of business.
Mayor - Councillor Alfred Thomas Carpenter
Ex-Mayor - Councillor William Goodwin Whitehead
Adam Wilkinson M.D
Alfred Thomas Carpenter
George William Davis
The ordinary meetings of the corporation are held quarterly, viz. on the first Wednesday in February, May & August & the 1st of November
Elective Auditors, Thomas Smith & Thomas Pinney
Officers of the Corporation & Urban Sanitary Authority
Town Clerk & Clerk to the Urban Sanitary Authority - John Kingsley Rutter. Bell street
Treasurer, George Cheers Chaloner, National Provincial Bank
Medical Officer of Health, Robert Henry Sawyer, Cann
Borough Surveyor & Sanitary Inspector, Walter Genge, Cann
Clerk to School Attendance Committee & Attendance Officer, William Lillington Chitty, Cann
Collectors of Rates, Alfred William Woodcock, Angel square, for St.Peter's & St. James'; Thomas Pinney, High street, for Holy Trinity
Town Crier, William Samuel Oram, Parsons Pool
Sergeant-at-Mace, Henry Morgan, High street
County Court, His Honour James Hooper M.A. judge Charles Hodson Kent, registrar, Herbert Stowell, high bailiff. The court is held at the Town Hall on Monday in each month, with the exception of September, in which month there is ino court held. The district comprises the following places in Dorset:- Ashmore, Cann, otherwise Shaston St. Rumbold, Bourton, Bourton West, Caundle Stourton, Compton Abbas, East Orchard,
East Stower, Fifehead Magdalen, Fontmell Magna, Gillingham, Hammoon, Iwerne Minster, Manston, Marnhull, Margaret Marsh, Melbury Abbas, Motcombe, St. James (Shaftesbury), Silton, Stalbridge, Stower Provost, Sutton Waldron, Todber, West Orchard & West Stower; & the following in Wilts:- Alvediston, Anstey, Berwick St. John, Berwick St. Leonard, Cricklade, Chilmark, Donhead St. Andrew, Donhead St. Mary, East Knoyle, East Tisbury, Fonthill Bishop, Fonthill Giffard, Hindon, Mere, Pertwood, Sedghill, Semley, Stourton (with the hamlet of Gasper in Somerset), Sutton Mandeville, Swallowcliffe, Teffont Evias, Teffont Magna, Tollard Royal, Wardour, West Knoyle, West Tisbury & Zeals
For Bankruptcy purposes this court is included in that of Salisbury. Frederick Aston Dawes, City Chambers, Salisbury, official receiver
Certified Bailiffs under the "Law of Distress Amendment Act" Herbert Stowell, high bailiff, Shaftesbury county court; William Thomas Buckland, Parsons Pool, Shaftesbury; George Henry Gatehouse, Enmore Green, near Shaftesbury.
County Police Station, Bell street, George Louis Elford, inspector. 1 sergeant & 9 constables
Fire Engine Station, Bell street; Herbert Stowell, capt.; Edward James Morton, lieut. & about 16 men
Inland Revenue Office, Haimes Lane, Bartholomew A Crow, officer
Literary Institute, Bleke street, Right Hon. Lord Stalbridge, president: Herbert H Hacker, sec.
Market House, High street & Bell street.
Temperance Hall, James Wescott, hon. Sec. & treasurer, Bell street
Town Hall, William Samuel Oram, keeper
Westminster Memorial Cottage Hospital, Park road. Adam wilkinson M.D., F.R.C.S.E. & Charles Silvester Evans M.A., M.B., B.C. hon. medical officers; Rev. Frederick Ehlvers, hon. Chaplain; Theodore Lovell de Behr, hon. Treasurer; William L Chitty, hon. Sec.; Miss L Wand, matron
1st Volunteer Battalion Dorsetshire Regiment (I Co.), Armoury, Bell street; Colour-Sergt George Hacker, in command; Sergt Wm.Edward
The union comprises the following parishes:- Alcester, Ashmore, Buckhorn Weston, Cann, Compton Abbas, East Orchard, East Stower, Fontmell Magna, Gillingham, Iwerne Minster, Kington Magna, Margaret Marsh, Melbury Abbas, Motcombe, Shaftesbury, Stower Provost, Sutton Waldron, Todber, West Orchard, West Stower. The population of the union in 1891 was 11,840; area, 37,247 acres; rateable value at Lady day, 1895, £81,168 Board day, at the Workhouse, at 11 a.m. alternate thursdays
Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee, James Burbidge, Bell street, Shaftesbury
Treasurer, Theodore Lovell de Behr, Wilts & Dorset Bank
Relieving Officers & Collectors to the Guardians, No. 1 district, Henry George Norton, Salisbury street, No.2 district, Wm.Edward Hiscock, E.Stower
Vaccination Officers, John Tapper, Twyford; Henry George Norton, Salisbury street, Shaftesbury; & Wm. Edward Hiscock, East Stower
Medical Officers & Public Vaccinators, Fontmell district, Charles Silvester Evans M.A., M.B., B.C. Shaftesbury; Gillingham district, Theophilus
Woods, Wyke street, Gillingham; Shaftesbury district, Adam Wilkinson M.D., F.R.C.S.E. Bell street, Shaftesbury
Superintendent Registrar, James Burbidge, Bell street, Shaftesbury; deputy, Ernest Yates, Bimport street, Shaftesbury
Registrars of Births & Deaths, Fontmell sub-district, interim registrar, John Tapper, Twyford; Gillingham sub-district, William Edward Hiscock, East Stower; deputy Albert Foote, High street, Gillingham; Shaftesbury sub-district, Henry George Norton, Salisbury street, Shaftesbury; deputy, Benjamin Hill Norton, Enmore Green
Registrars of Marriages, Mervin Alford, Salisbury street, Shaftesbury; deputy, Alfred W Woodcock, Angel square, Shaftesbury; William Edward Hiscock, East Stower; deputy. Albert Foote, High street, Gillingham; John Kingsley Rutter, Bell street, Shaftesbury, registering officer for the Society of Friends
Workhouse, St.James' is of stone, built in 1840, to hold 200 inmates; Rev. Richard Thurlow M.A. chaplain; George Osbaldeston Genge, master; Adam Wilkinson M.D. medical officer; Mrs. Elizabeth Burlton, matron & schoolmistress; Miss Ellen Mary Burlton, nurse
School Attendance Committee
Meets as occasion requires, at the Workhouse
Clerk, James Burbidge, Bell street, Shaftesbury
Attendance & Inquiry Officers, the Relieving Officers
Rural District Council
Meets at the Workhouse monthly at 1 p.m.
Clerk, James Burbidge, Bell street, Shaftesbury
Treasurer, Theodore Lovell de Behr, Wilts & Dorset Bank
Medical Officer of Health, Robert Henry Sawyer, Cann
Sanitary Inspector & District Surveyor, Walter Genge, Cann
Assessor of Taxes, James Burbidge, Bell street
Assistant Overseers & Collectors of Taxes, for St. Peter' & St. James', Alfred William Woodcock, 1 Angel square; for Holy Trinity, Thomas Pinney, 11 High street
Clerk to the Commissioners of Income, Property & Land Taxes, Mervin Alford, Salisbury street
Certifying Factory Surgeon, Robert Henry Sawyer, Cann
Lessee of Street Market Tolls, S.W. Oram, Parsons Pool
Inspector of Police, George Louis Elford, Bell street
Places of Worship, with times of Services
Holy Trinity Church, Bimport (consolidated with St. Peter's High street), Rev. Frederick Ehlvers, rector; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; children's service at 3 p.m. 3rd Sunday in the month
St. James' Church, Rev. Richard Thurlow M.A. rector & surrogate; John Hayter clerk; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; 1st Sunday in the month at 3 p.m.; 7.30 p.m. on Wednesday during Advent & Lent
Friends' Meeting House, St. James' street, 10.30 a.m.
Congregational, Muston's Lane, Rev. James William Pointer; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.; Wednesday 7 p.m.
Wesleyan, Parsons Pool, Rev. William P Ellis & Rev. Thomas Pinfield; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; Thursdays, 7 p.m.
Brethren's Meeting House, Ebenezer Hall, Salisbury street; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.; Monday & Thursday, 7.30 p.m.
Primitive Methodist, St. James' street, 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.
The Endowed Grammar School stands on the eastern outskirts of the town, in the parish of St. Peter's on an elevated & extremely healthy position: it was built in 1878, in the Queen Anne style of architecture: the school has been re-organised under a scheme sanctioned by the Charity Commissioners, & was opened January 1879: new buildings have been erected for 60 boys, including 15 boarders, with head master's residence attached: there is an extensive cricket field of about four acres adjoining the building; two Foundation Scholarships, each of the annual value of £4, & two Exhibitions on the Bimport Foundation, each of the annual value of £3, tenable at the school for two years, are awarded every August. The Right Hon. Lord Stalbridge P.C. chairman of the governors; H.C. Forrester, clerk to the governors; Pryce Thomas Taylor M.A. classical honours Exeter College, Oxford, head master; Leonard R Treasure, certificated second master; Christopher
John Thurlow, student master National (mixed), St. James', built in 1873, for 220 children; average attendance, 152; Samuel Robert Fisher, master; Mrs. Elizabeth Fisher, infant's mistress
National (boys & girls), Bimport, built in 1871; 134 boys & 134 girls; (infants) built in 1847 for 122; average attendance, 100 boys, 91 girls & 90 infants; George Pearson Barter, master; Miss Eliza Baker, mistress; Mrs Emily Gale, infant's mistress
Omnibus from the Grosvenor Arms hotel, to & from Semley railway station to meet all the trains except the 7.3 a.m. up train, which is only met by appointment
Ashmore - Bealing, from "Mitre", Saturdays
Berwick St. John - Jenkins, from "Crown", Saturdays
Donhead - Ingram from "Mitre" Sats; Isgar from "Rose & Crown"; Jenkins, from Grosvenor hotel, Sats.
East Knoyle - Snook, from "Crown", Sats
Ebbesborne - Coombes, from "Mitre", Sats
Fontmell Magnea - Chick, from "Mitre", Sats
Kington Magna - Lanning, from "rose & Crown", Sats
London - Mitchell & sons (goods agents to South-Western railway), to & from Semley station, daily; Petty & Son (agents for Sutton & Co), Bimport
Ludwell - Ingram, from "Mitre", Sats
Marnhull - Bugg from "Mitre", Sats
Melbury Abbas - Bealing from "Mitre", Sats
Mere - Hooper, from "King's Arms", Sats
Semley - Mitchell & Sons, from their house daily
Stalbridge - Bugg, from "Mitre", Sats
Stower - Bugg, from "Mitre", Sats
Todber - Bugg, from "Mitre", Sats
Tollard - Neale, from "Star", Sats