including the Chapelry of Fishponds Bottom
The Parish Church of St. Candida (or St. Wite) and
Holy Cross, Whitchurch Canonicorum, Dorset, courtesy of Michael Day's Dorset Churches web site
Whitchurch Canonicorum lies in
Marshwood Vale in the west of the County of Dorsetshire. To the west is Catherston
Lewiston, Wootton Fitzpaine
and Hawkchurch. To the north is
and to the east is
Chideock with Stanton St Gabriel.
It is a very large parish 5 miles west north west from Bridport. The
very ancient church of St. Candida and St Cross, is unique in being the
only parish church in England containing the bones of its patron saint.
The Saint's relics are in a stone altar. There is a chapel of ease at
Fishponds Bottom dedicated to St John the Baptist and a Congregational
chapel at Morecombelake.
|Census||1811 Census transcribed by Jennifer Dando (Head of Households & statistics)
1841 Census transcribed by Pearl Blanking
1861 Census on this site transcribed by Peter Collins
1871 Census in 5 districts: District 5, District 6, District 7, District 8 & District 9 transcribed by John Ridout
1881 Census this can be searched free on the LDS Site.
||The parish registers date from 1538, the
following transcriptions are available:
1558-1729 from index by the Rev. R.Grosvenor Bartelot MA [Michaela Poynton-Smith]
1735-1764 from BTs by Jennifer Dando
1766-1812 from the Parish Registers by Keith Searson
1538 - 1812 transcribed by Peter Collins
1735-1812 from the Parish Registers by Keith Searson
MIs In The Churchyard of the Chapel of Ease of St John the
Baptist at Fish Pond Bottom transcribed by Brian Webber
Miscellaneous Graves & Memorials at St Candida [Liz Chater, External]
|Records held at the Dorset History Centre
Baptisms 1558-1680/81, 1691-1985. Marriages 1558-1623, 1632-1984. Burials 1558-1676, 1681-1878. Banns 1754-1969.
Christenings1558-1729, 1771-1837. Marriages 1558-1727. Burials 1558-1727, 1813-1837.
|Tithe||A transcription of the tithe apportionments that accompany the Tithe Map of 1838 are on line.|
|Maps||The 1891 Ordnance Survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Whitchurch Canonicorum' under place search.|
|For modern location maps visit:-|
Visitors to Dorset OPC
Copyright (c) 2016 Dorset OPC Project