Dorset OPC

Winterborne Clenston

Dorset OPC

Winterborne Clenston (or Clenstone Winterborne) is a parish and village in North Blandford petty sessional division, Blandford county court district, Coombs Ditch hundred, Blandford union, Whitchurch rural deanery, Dorset archdeaconry and Salisbury Diocese. It is located 4.5 miles south-west from Blandford near to the northern branch of the Winterbourne (a tributary of the Stour). The village is known as Lower Clenston and Upper Clenston locally although Upper is about five feet higher and only two hundred yards away. The church was formerly in Winterbourne St. Nicholas and this village has disappeared mostly although still visible as earthern residual areas in a field.

The Church of St. Nicholas was rebuilt in 1840 by Mrs. Michel. It is an edifice of flint and Portland stone in the Perpendicular style (most commonly built between 1375 – 1530+). The building consists of a chancel, a nave, a western porch and square western tower with a spire, containing one bell. The register has been microfilmed by the Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints (1731-1880).


The Online Parish Clerk (OPC) for Winterborne Clenston is Elizabeth Kipp

If you wish to contact Elizabeth please click on the link above to generate an addressed email  [Please note new email address 20 Nov 2010]


Census 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891 & 1901 census on-line.
Parish Registers
Parish Registers and Bishops Transcripts date from 1750
Baptisms 1731-1880  
Marriages 1731-1838
Protestation Returns The 1641 Protestation Returns for the parish
Burial Ground Index of names on Monumental Inscriptions in the burial ground
Photographs Photographs of the Village
Other Records Tudor Muster Roll 1542
Maps Link to Parish Boundary outline map of 1851
For modern location maps visit: www.multimap.com 
For a location map click on the thumbnail on the left [112kb]

OPC PAGE

Visitors to Dorset OPC

shopify site analytics

Privacy Policy

Copyright (c) 2016 Dorset OPC Project