Dorset OPC

Winterborne Stickland

Dorset OPC

Winterborne [or Winterbourne] Stickland [or Strickland] is a parish and village situated at the head of the chalk stream Winterbourne, situated 3 miles south west of Blandford Forum. To the north is the parish of Turnworth, to the east is Blandford St Mary, downstream is Winterborne Clenstone and on the west is Winterborne Houghton. The parish church of St Mary is in the middle of the parish and is noted for the oak waggon headed roof. The registers date from 1616 but some are missing.

A Wesleyan Chapel was built in 1863 and a Primitive Methodist Chapel in 1877.  Winterborne Quarleston is a tithing in the parish The village had a post office, a National School built in 1861 and a Police Constable. The parish comprises 2234 acres , the soil is light chalky loam and the chief crops were wheat and barley. In 1891 the population was 406.
Details from Kelly's Directory 1895
Photographs    Caryl Parsons 


The Online Parish Clerk (OPC) for Winterborne Stickland is Joan McCullough


Census On line:
1841 Census

1851 Census [Kim Parker]
1861 Census 
1871 Census
1881 Census 
1891 Census
1901 Census
Parish Registers
The Parish Registers date from 1616, the  Bishops Transcripts date from 1731
Baptisms 1813-1883 [Kim Parker] 
Marriage 
Burials 1813-1940 [Kim Parker]
Bishops Transcripts Burials 1813 - 1837  
Rectors A list of the Rectors of the Parish from 1217
War Memorial Photo and names of those commemorated on the War Memorial
Monumental Inscriptions An on-line index of all names on Memorial Inscriptions with further details being available
Photographs More Photographs of the church & village
Maps The 1891 Ordnance Survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Winterborne Stickland' under place search.
For modern location maps visit:-  www.multimap.com
For a 1920s map of the area click on the thumbnail on the left [162kb]

OPC PAGE

Visitors to Dorset OPC

shopify site analytics

Privacy Policy

Copyright (c) 2016 Dorset OPC Project