[or Wotton] Fitzpaine lies in the south west of
the county, situated in the Marshwood Vale. To the west is Hawkchurch,
is to the north and to the east lies
Catherston Lewiston, Charmouth and
Lyme Regis to the south. A small
branch of the River Char runs through the parish.
The registers date from the year 1667. The parish covers 3307 acres, although this includes Monkton Wyld. Monkton Wyld is an ecclesiastical parish formed from part of Wootton Fitzpaine in 1850. The soil is stone brash with clay and gravel and the chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The population in 1891 was 327 in the civil parish and 162 in the ecclesiastical parish. There was no post office but a wall letter box at Knap. The Parochial School for infants was built in 1860 for 50 children with an average attendance of 20. Elder children attend the board school at Charmouth. Details from the 1895 Kelly's Directory Photograph of the church courtesy of Michael Day's Dorset Churches site.
1841 Census on
site, transcribed by Ron Adams
1861 Census on site, transcribed by Ron Adams
1871 Census on site, transcribed by Ron Adams
1881 Census on site, transcribed by Ralph Woolfrey
Registers date from 1667, the following transcriptions are available:-
Marriages 1677-1812 (transcribed by Peter Collins)
Donations of any transcriptions of full years would be welcome.
|Memorial Inscriptions||Transcription of the
Memorial Inscriptions in the parish
church burial ground
Wootton Fitzpaine War Memorial (Western Front Association web site)
|Tithe Maps||The apportionments from the 1838 Tithe Map were previously on-line|
|Maps||The 1891 Ordnance Survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Wootton Fitzpaine under place search|
|For modern location maps visit:-|
Visitors to Dorset OPC
Copyright (c) 2016 Dorset OPC Project