Parish of Bradpole
1865 DIRECTORIES 1880
Transcribed and donated to the OPC Project by Lorraine Key
Extract from the 1865 Harrod & Co Postal & Commercial Directory
is a parish in the hundred of Beaminister – Forum and Redhone,
Bridport union, distant 1 ½ mile N.N.E from Bridport, and 5 S. from
Beaminister, containing about 966 acres, and partly in the
Municipal borough of Bridport.
The living is a discharged vicarage, value 265 pounds
residence. The church is dedicated
to the Holy Trinity; the Rev. Alexander
BROADLEY, M.A, rural dean, is the incumbent. Here is a chapel
of ease called
St.Andrew. In the
village is a large National school for boys and girls.
population in 1861 was 1,149.
REGULATIONS,-Letters are received through Bridport, which
also the nearest money order office and post town.
Kelly's Directory of Dorsetshire 1880
Bradpole is a parish partly within the borough of Bridport and 5 miles south from Beaminster, in the hundred of Beaminster Forum,Bridport union, petty sessional Division and county court district, diocese of Salisbury, archdeaconry of Dorset and rural deanery of Bridport second portion. The church of the Holy Trinity is in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, North aisle, with tower, and a spire, with a peal of 5-bells. The register dates from the year 1695. The living is a discharged Vicarage, yearly value 265 pounds, with Residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and held by the Rev. Alexander BROADLEY M.A. OF Wadham College, Oxford, rural dean and canon of Winterbourne Earls in the Cathedral of Salisbury. The workhouse for Bridport union Is in this parish. here is no manor. The principal landowners are Mr. George Seymour MILLER, Mrs. WAY and Mr. COMPTON. The soil is sandy; subsoil clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, and grass. The area is 966 acres; rateable value 6.629 pounds; and the population in 1871 was 1.549. (The names of residence in the parliamentary borough are inserted under Bridport) sexton, George CRAW.
Letters are received through Bridport, which Is the nearest money order office. There is a WALL LETTER BOX, Cleared at 6pm, daily, Sundays excepted National School ( boys & girls), Mark Edwin JOHNSON, master.
BARTLETT Francis, Gore House
BEACH Thomas J.P Forster cottage
BROADLEY Rev. Canon Alexander M.A. (rural dean), vicarage
CHRISTMAS Rev. Fredk. Granville (curate)
MARTIN James Henry
BOON George, King’s Head
CHARD Samuel Charles, Baker & grocer
COOK & Son, gardeners & florists
CRABB George, higgler & thatcher
FOORD Anna (Miss), grocer
GIBBS Thomas, farmer
GIBBS William, farmer & mason
HOARE Wm,John, boot & shoemaker
INGRAM James, farmer
LACEY Frederick, bootmaker
MILLER Geo. Seymour, farmer & landowner
PARSONS Thomas, shoemaker
SCADDEN William, shoemaker
SHUGER William, shoemaker
STONE Thos. carpenter, Grocer & beer rtlr.
VINE John, dairyman, tucking mill.
VINE Sarah (Mrs), dairy, Watford
WAY John, farmer & landowner
BRADPOLE PAGE OPC HOME PAGE