Durweston is a parish 2 miles north of Blandford on the main road to Sturminster Newton, though much of the village lies to the west of the road. The River Stour is crossed by a bridge of three arches just to the east of the village. Much of the village was part of the Portman Estates whose family home lay nearby in Bryanston (now a public school). Durweston parish was originally two parishes: Durweston and Knighton. The present-day parish church is on the site of the church that belonged to Knighton parish; the original Durweston church occupied a site near Durweston Mill, though little trace remains today. The two parishes were combined in 1381.
The parish church of St Nicholas has a tower which dates to around the 14th century, the rest of the church seems to be in keeping with this age but was in fact a skillful restoration by P. C. Hardwick in 1846.
1841 Census ~ Jacqui Bowen
1881 Census ~ Ralph Woolfrey
1891 Census ~ John Ridout
1901 Census ~ Andrew Wright
1731-1770 ~ Jenfer Dando
1825-1833, 1834-1878 ~ Julia Graham
1731-1808 ~ Jenfer Dando
1825-1832, 1833-1837 ~ Julia Graham
1731-1800 ~ Jenfer Dando
1825-1832, 1833-1878 ~ Julia Graham
|Postal Directories||Extract from Kelly's 1880 Directory ~ Lynda Small|
|Maps||The 1891 Ordnance Survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Durweston' under place search. For modern location maps visit:-|
|Records held at the Dorset History Centre
Christenings 1730-1884. Marriages 1731-2014. Burials 1731-1915.
(for the purpose of civil registration births, marriages, deaths & civil partnerships)
|1 Jul 1837-30 Jun 1956: Blandford
1 Jul 1956-31 Mar 1974: Poole
1 Apr 1974-17 Oct 2005: North Dorset
Visitors to Dorset OPC
Copyright (c) 2018 Dorset OPC Project