Dorset OPC

Edmondsham

Dorset OPC


Edmondsham Church
© Kim Parker 2011

Edmondsham is a tranquil Dorset village and parish situated on the edge of Cranborne Chase, a little over one mile south of Cranborne. Formerly, there were four manors here, all served by what is now St Nicholas Church (re-dedicated in 1644). The 19th century civil parish included West Worth tything and the settlements at Gotham, Pinnock Moor and Hungerhill. Appearing as ‘Amedesham’ in the 1086 Domesday Book, the name simply means ‘homestead or enclosure belonging to a man named Eadmod or Eadmund’, from an old English personal name and ‘ham’ for homestead. The Hussey family were the ancient lords of the manor here and long associated with the parish.

Famous for its gardens, Edmondsham House (below) is a splendid Tudor Manor House (1589) with Georgian wings and Victorian service buildings, including a fine set of stables and an octagonal dairy. Across the lawn in front of the house is a little gate giving access directly to the churchyard. St Nicholas Church is an estate church of medieval origin. Despite an unfortunate ‘restoration’ in 1863 when monuments celebrating the ancient lords of the manor were rearranged or covered over and a Norman arch and the font were removed, several medieval features have survived. These include the 12th century two-bay arcade and chancel arch, the 15th century tower of flint and greensand and several trefoiled windows from the 16th century. The three bells in the tower are dated 1626, 1674 and 1702.

The church (above), although close to the manor house, sits somewhat isolated from the village in its own little orchard. Formerly the village was much larger and extended all the way down to and around the churchyard.

One of the more unique vestiges of the past is the village pump (see below), a cast iron mechanism with a fly-wheel. Housed in a 1930s structure consisting of four timber posts and a pyramidal tiled roof, it bears the date 1884 and inscription ‘HEM’ in reference to Hector Edmond Monro who was the squire at that time.

There was formerly a Post Office, a School, a Rectory and a Methodist chapel in the village, but these have all now disappeared or been converted for residential purposes.


Edmondsham House
© Kim Parker 2011



The post of Online Parish Clerk (OPC) is currently vacant
If you would like to volunteer for the role, please contact the OPC Project Co-ordinator
Contributions of additional resource materials for the site are always welcome


Census 1841 Census [Keith Searson]
1881 Census [Ralph Woolfrey]
1891 Census [Janet Courteney]
Parish Registers Baptisms 1669-1812 [Kim Parker]
Marriages 1672-1837 [Kim Parker]
Burials 1672-1812 [Kim Parker]
Banns 1755-1802 [Kim Parker]
Bishops Transcripts Baptisms 1731-1749, 1749-1763 [Julia Graham]
Marriages 1731-1748, 1749-1763 [Julia Graham]
Burials 1731-1749, 1749-1763, 1764-1783 [Julia Graham]
Trade & Postal Directories  
Other Records Rectors of Edmondsham Parish [Kim Parker]
Photographs  
Monumental Inscriptions  
Maps  
Records held at the Dorset History Centre
 
Registers
Christenings 1573/4-1951. Marriages 1573-1990. Burials 1573-1996

 


Edmondsham Village Pump
© Kim Parker 2011

 


OPC PAGE

Visitors to Dorset OPC

shopify site analytics

Privacy Policy

Copyright (c) 2016 Dorset OPC Project