Minterne Magna is a village about 2 miles north of Cerne Abbas,
halfway between Dorchester and Sherborne. The village is sited near the source of the small River Cerne
among the chalk hills of the Dorset Downs.
House, at times the seat of one or other of the families mentioned above, is at the centre of the village
surrounded by a large park and gardens (now open to the public).
The house is odd having been rebuilt on the site of a Victorian house between 1903 and 1906 in a mixture of styles, the modern looking tower on the east front actually houses a water tank.
Minterne Gardens today have a chain of small lakes, waterfalls and streams, and over one and a half miles of walks, with palm trees and towering rhododendrons, framed by tall cedar and beech trees, provide a new vista at each turn. They contain an important collection of Himalayan rhododendrons and azaleas from the Wilson, Rock, Forrest, and Kingdon Ward Expeditions to the Himalayas. These are combined with spring bulbs, cherries, maples and many fine and rare trees; the garden is noted for its autumn colouring.
|Census||1841, 1861, 1881|
|Parish Registers||Baptisms 1718-1812, 1813-1837, 1838-1875, 1876-1906
Marriages 1718-1754, 1754 - 1812, 1813-1836, 1837-1912
Burials 1718-1812, 1813-1837, 1838-1907
|Other Records||St Andrews Monumental
Minterne Magna Rectors 1350-2003
Minterne Magna War Memorial
|Photographs||St Andrew's Memorial Stones & Plaques (Internal) (Jan Hibberd)|
Ordnance Survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Minterne' under place search.
For modern location maps visit:- www.multimap.com
Visitors to Dorset OPC
Copyright (c) 2016 Dorset OPC Project