Dorset OPC

Bishop's Caundle

 

Dorset OPC

Bishop's Caundle is a parish in the hundred, union, and division of Sherborne, about 5 miles South-east by east from Sherborne, and 6 miles South-west from Sturminster Newton. The origin of the name "Caundle" is unclear, though it has been suggested to be of Celtic origin, and was formerly the name of the range of low hills that lies mainly to the north of the village.

The church is an ancient edifice with tower, containing four bells. The dedication of the church is unknown, being sometimes incorrectly ascribed to Sts. Peter and Paul. Much of the main body of the church dates from the 14th century, though the tower and other features are from the 15th.

In 1861 the population, including the tything of Caundle Wake and the hamlet of Bishopsdown, was 371, and consisted 1,397 acres.

The new Online Parish Clerk (OPC) for Bishop's Caundle is Derek Baker
Please place the words 'OPC Bishops Caundle' as your subject for e-mails (click on Derek's name above to generate a pre-addressed email)
Derek does not live in the village but is nearby within Dorset


Census 1841 Census [John Ridout]
1851 Census [John Ridout]
1861 Census [Royston Clarke]
1901 Census [Partial - Keith Searson]
Parish Registers Burials 1570-1814 [Tony Higgins]
The Registers of Caundle Bishop from 1570 to 1814 [Charles Herbert Mayo (1845-1929)]
Postal Directories  
Photographs  
Church Records Monumental Inscriptions [Tony Higgins]
Other Records Revd. Canon Digby’s Tenants Ledger [Caryl Parsons]
School Log Book 1871-1891
[Caryl Parsons]
Links Bishop's Caundle - A Dorset Village Through Time
Maps The 1891 Ordnance Survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter "Bishop's Caundle" under place search.
Parish Records held at the Dorset History Centre, Dorchester
Bishop's Caundle

 

Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns
1570-1921 1570-1993 1570-1983 1754-1921
 

OPC PAGE

Visitors to Dorset OPC

shopify site analytics

Privacy Policy

Copyright (c) 2016 Dorset OPC Project