alias East Chaldon
Known through time as Celvedune, Calvedone (1086 -
Domesday Book), Chalvedon (1224), Chaluedon Hareng (1243) and Chaldon
Hearynge (1574), the name of this tranquil village is derived from the
Old English cealf and dun, meaning ‘hill where calves are pastured’,
with a manorial addition from the Norman family of Harang, established
here from the 12th century, and whose coat of arms included three
herrings. Set amid chalk hills, it is bounded by the parishes of
Owermoigne to the west and north, Winfrith Newburgh to the north-east
and West Lulworth to the east. The parish was united with West Chaldon
or Chaldon Boys (named for the 13th century de Bosco family) in 1446.
Bronze Age barrows, known as the Five Marys, as well as the evocatively
named Fossil Farm in the north of the parish, hint at the ancient past
of the parish.
Close by is the Manor House, now Grange Farm, rebuilt by Richard
Gostelowe in 1728 and purchased by the Weld family in 1790, who retained
it for almost 200 years. Previously, it had been held by Bindon Abbey,
and was acquired by the Poynings family of East Lulworth after the
dissolution of the monasteries under Henry VIII.
Census [Keith Searson]
1861 Census [Royston Clarke]
1871 Census [Dorinda Miles]
[PR] [Kim Parker]
Marriages 1621-1734 1735-1860 [PR] [Kim Parker]
Burials 1621-1880 [PR] [Kim Parker]
|Maps||The 1891 Ordnance Survey maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps site, just enter 'Chaldon Herring' under place search.|
|Records held at the Dorset History Centre
Christenings 1621-1895. Marriages 1621-1964. Burials 1621-1993. Banns 1754-1812.
Visitors to Dorset OPC
Copyright (c) 2016 Dorset OPC Project