Milton Abbas is a parish and village
7 miles south west from Blandford and 11 miles north east from
Dorchester. It is sometimes considered the first planned settlement in
England as it was designed in the 18th century when the market town of
Milton (or Middleton) was cleared by the local landowner,
Joseph Damer. The entire town was demolished and many of the residents
were rehoused in the new settlement at Milton Abbas.
The parish has a long monastic history.
Milton Abbey as it now stands was built in 1771 on the site of the old
Abbey house by the first Earl of Dorchester. The parish church of St
James was built by the Earl in 1786. The church registers date from
1650. The parish includes the Grade II listed Delcombe Manor, north-west
of the village, which dates from around 1750, which formed part of the
The population in 1861 was 1014; 1871, 942; 1891, 728; 756 in 1931 and 750 in 1991.
The new Online Parish Clerk (OPC) for Milton Abbas is Jean Trevett
|Census||1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881, 1891, 1901|
Marriages 1559-1812 [Phillimores]
Burials 1651-1730 1731-1812 1813-1880 [Kim Parker]
|Bishops Transcripts||Baptisms 1731-1800 & 1802-1880|
|Monumental Inscriptions||A list of all the names occurring on Burial Monuments in the village|
|Protestation Returns||The 1641 Protestation Returns for the parish|
|Photographs||A collection of photographs of the village today as well as some historic photos.|
|Other Records||Will of Margaret Melmoth 1691 [Dawn Good]|
History of Milton Abbey and formation
of the village of Milton Abbas
Abandoned Communities - Milton [Stephen Fisk] [External]
maps of the parish can be seen at the old-maps
site, just enter 'Milton Abbas' under place search.
For modern location maps visit:-
Visitors to Dorset OPC
Copyright (c) 2017 Dorset OPC Project