Bourton & Silton
Silton St Nicholas
Silton is a small village close to the border with Somerset, 3 miles NorthWest of Gillingham and 3 miles South-West of Mere. The village church of St Nicholas has an imposing memorial to Sir Hugh Wydham, a Justice of the Common Pleas during the reign of Charles II, dated 27 July 1684. Sir Hugh is at the centre with his wives at either side. The parish registers date from 1653.
The church is built in the perpendicular style and consists of a chancel, nave, south porch, south aisle and an embattled western tower with pinnacles which contains 4 bells.
Bourton, the most northerly parish in Dorset is on the River Stour on the road from Mere to Yeovil, 4 miles North-West of Gillingham, 3 miles South-West of Mere and 9 miles North West of Shaftesbury. The church of St George, rebuit in 1879-1880 is in the perpendicular style and consists of a chancel, nave, south porch and an incomplete tower which contains three bells. Bourton was formerly a Chapelry of Gillingham, the registers date from the year 1810. Bourton also had Baptist and Wesleyan Chapels.
In 1860 the largest water wheel in Europe was set in the River Stour alongside the mill. There has been a lot of development in the village though many 18th and 19th century cottages can be found scattered around the village. The White Lion Inn is built in traditional stone and dates from 1723 and features old beams, real fires and flagstones.
Bourton St George
of the 1841 Census Silton & Bourton
Transcription of the 1871 Census of Silton
Transcription of the 1881 Census of Silton [Ralph Woolfrey]
Transcription of the 1881 Census of Bourton [Ralph Woolfrey]
|Postal Directories||Bourton Directories 1844, 1852/3, 1855, 1875, 1895 & 1915
Silton Directories 1855, 1875, 1889, 1911
Silton Baptisms 1813-1880
Silton Marriages 1731-1842
Silton Burials 1731-1880
Bourton Baptisms 1813-1821 [Jan Kennedy]
Bourton Baptisms 1882-1895 [Jan Kennedy]
|Other Records||Bourton Wills|
Bourton Civic Cemetery Monumental Inscriptions
Bourton St George's Monumental Inscriptions
|For modern location maps visit:- www.multimap.com|
Visitors to Dorset OPC
Copyright (c) 2016 Dorset OPC Project